Monday, January 24, 2011

Wabi Sabi vs Crapsmanship


My self serving and manipulative understanding of Wabi Sabi has gotten me out of more than a few tight spots.  Wabi Sabi is not a panty dropping mustard and peach schnapps shot but an aesthetic that lauds the beauty of imperfection.  A crack in a tea pot, a nicely misshapen circle, a broken spider's web.  This works well with the unique personality of my craftsmanship.  There was a time when a craftsman would try to make something so perfectly that it looks like it was made by a machine.  Well, I am changing all that.  Flaws tell stories while perfection is sterile and bleak.  That is why I strive for imperfection and darn it if I haven't done a good job so far.  I mean, when I make something you can really see the craftsmanship. There is a lot of craftsmanship in each piece. Tons of it. 


The question is how far can I go?  When does the beauty of imperfection turn ugly? Having a checked piece of wood (wood with little cracks in it) is one thing but what about a stupid idea? How about an honest mistake or some good old fashioned laziness?  Fine artists get away with it all the time, why shouldn't designers?  

Remember these Coors cans?  Finger slicers. 
So dumb that it's beautiful?



My next year's New Year's resolution might be to try to be a little less perfect and a little more beautiful.  Either that or try to stop cramming crumpled bills into my pockets when I buy a pack of sunflower seeds with a 20.  

1 comment: